Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Photos from around Tunis

Here are some photos from the beginning of my internship experience in Tunisia as I was beginning my work at Amideast and gettling settled into Tunisian life.


Day #1 of my internship. So young a hopeful!










I love putting quotes up around my work station to remind me of my purpose and to motivate me when I am feeling pressure or stress from my projects. Here are two quotes that I have at my desk that have really inspired me during these last three months.

































The plaque for my particular department, Advising and Testing. The entrance courtyard is just on the otherside of these blue doors, and the Jasmine plant that you see growing in the corner cascades over the other side, filling the entrance with the beautiful scent of Jasmine. I still smile every day that I walk through the courtyard.






















This is the best smoothie drink in all of Tunis. It is made a little "hole in the wall" (sometimes, in the literal sense as well) shops. Fresh fruit, yogurt, and nuts are taken from the stand and put into a food processor right in front of you to become this delicious thick smoothie. To top off the presentation, it is topped with shaved coconut, ground almond powder, whole hazelnuts, and a drizzle of honey. Best afternoon snack ever!
















In Tunisia I have found the stray pet population to be much more common than in the US. Stray cats are found on nearly every street corner, and can really pull at your heartstrings with their haunting eyes and malnurished bodies. Thank goodness I am immune to their pull, as I do not harbour feelings of feline appreciation. However, there are select moments where I do enjoy their presence on my walk through town, as shown in this photo.
















Here is the tower of the Zaitouna Mosque near the old medina market in the center of downtown Tunis. I have fallen in love with Arab architecture and continually find beatuiful buildings, columns, and doorways all around Tunisia.












More photos to come soon! Thanks again for all the support and encouragement!

1 comment:

  1. Apologies for the strange formatiing of this post. I am not sure what happened, but apparently I am still learning how to format everything. Thanks for looking!

    ReplyDelete