Tuesday, October 5, 2010

. . . and for the everyday details

Big news from the weekend: I have a new apartment!

I am now living with two American English teachers who have been with AMIDEAST for a few weeks now. It was great to arrive at the new place and be greated by familiar faces. I instantly liked the space when I was shown to my room with a private balcony overlooking the street and surrounding garden. The apartment is furnished and clean, and has a wonderful kitchen with an additional balcony that overlooks the city.

For the first time in an entire week I was able to prepare a meal for myself in my kitchen with produce that I purchased from the produce stand nearby. It was wonderful to walk in and see all kinds of familiar and unfamiliar varieties of fresh fruits and vegetables at very inexpensive prices. I loved smelling the parsley and tasting the sunrise colored pears when I returned home. I think I need to get one of those woven baskets that I can take with me to buy my produce from now on. There is something so soothing for me in preparing a meal; the chopping of the vegetables, the crackling of a gas stove, the sizzling of olive oil, and the aroma of spices that drift through the house. I love every aspect of the experience. As with my tradition, I brought my Anthony Bourdain calendar with me to Tunisia, and it is currently hanging in the window watching over us in true cooking diety fashion. I am such a big fan of his show and of his adventures that he has been lucky enough to share with the world!

I am finally unpacked as well, which is a relief. I do not have to go searching through my suitcases whenever I get ready in the morning. And it's so nice to have my own space for my stuff. I hung up the picture of the rainbow that the little girl drew for me in the Italian port when i was waiting for the ferry. She was so adorable, and the picture is just priceless!

Pictures of my new place are on their way, i just have to figure out how to get them off my phone. Technology is only helpful sometimes. By the way, Im really starting to enjoy this whole tri-lingual experience. I will speak a combination of French-Arabic-English when I return . . . Fr-Arab-ish!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Wow! Wow! You are amazing. I miss you. I wish you the best in your AMIDEAST adventures.

    ReplyDelete